Everyday, Indian municipalities produce thousands of tonnes of sewage sludge, which has to be disposed. Unfortunately, the solutions for properly disposing of sludge are few and very expensive, effectively leading to most of the sludge being either led into water streams (defeating the point) or dumped on landfills. MASH Biotech has engaged with the municipalities of Ahmedabad, Vadodara and Rajkot in trying to find a cost-effective way to dispose of sewage sludge and in the meantime create valuable outputs such as bio-oil and fertilisers. In Ahmedabad, MASH has demonstrated that the challenges involved in sourcing, handling and processing the sludge can be handled and that a full scale pyrolysis reactor can be run in a manner that is feasible from both an economic, technical and environmental perspective.
- Desktop study of variance in sewage sludge properties.
In combination with testing of feedstock from multiple sites in Gujarat, India.
- Evaluation of process-alternatives appropriate for processing sewage sludge.
- Testing of sewage sludge samples in appropriate test-rig in Denmark and lower-tech rig in India.
- Sales of outputs from test rigs (tens of liters) to validate purchase price in target market: Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
- Production of intermediate scale machine and validation of sewage sludge sourced from local wastewater treatment plant.
- Interaction with dozens of wastewater treatment plants and negotiation of terms for supplying sewage sludge at acceptable price.
- Securing multiple LoI’s and pre-orders from interested customers.
- Identification of appropriate site for operating the machine (adjacency to ample feedstock ressource).
- Gain permission to run operations on local area and secure rights for land.
- Initial runs under long-term contract format with sewage treatment plants in Vadodara and Ahmedabad.
- Assesment of the changes in inputs/outputs and financial viability caused by seasons and population consumption patterns.
- Delivery of first large batches of bio-crude to customers. First substantial revenue.
- Ready site to accomodate process equipment – build silo and construct drainage system.
FULL SCALE OPERATION
- Full scale operations of plant in Ahmedabad and sales of oil to local industry customers.